Total Pageviews

Sunday, December 14, 2008

16 little embryos sitting in a dish...

This Friday I had the surgery to remove my eggs. They put me under general anesthesia and aspirated the follicles one at a time using a small needle. Thank God I was asleep for that part!

After coming to, Dr. Anderson told us that we have 17 good eggs and all is well. He prescribed that I go home and rest until the embryo transfer in 5 days. Now, every day we get an update on which embryos survived to thrive another day. So far we have 16 that fertilized which is a great number. More than likely about 50% of those will not survive to be implanted or frozen and that is perfectly normal. Also, I don't think Jason and I are up for the challenge of 16 kiddos either. So natural selection helps us out of that situation. The Dr. is very happy with the numbers so far so we have our fingers crossed that all will go well on Wednesday when they implant these little guys and girls.

I'm not in too much pain...a little sore but that is expected. My mom is here to help out and boy has that been nice! It's just great to have her around to take some of the stress of the situation off of us. She even got to participate in the IVF tradition of constant injections! When Jason's flight got delayed, she had to give me my HCG shot which has to be done at a certain EXACT time. The needle is HUGE and she compared it to a "jackhammer". Needless to say after some practice on an orange, she gave me the shot and did great!

Wednesday I begin my 3 days of bed rest. After that I have 4 more days of not being able to leave the house. I have to be patient because Dr. Anderson said that all the way to my pregnancy test has to be characterized by maximum rest and minimal stress. That is 12 days, so I am pretty well in for the rest of the year. 

I will post some more info soon, but assume that all is well!


No comments: